Connecticut Main Street Center (CMSC) is the expert resource for developing and sustaining vibrant downtowns that fuel our state’s prosperity. Our mission is to assess, educate, convene, and advocate to develop and grow downtowns. CMSC provides guidance to:
- Build the capacity of downtowns to be place-based, inclusive, sustainable, and prosperous centers that leverage the marriage between economic development; preservation and adaption of the built environment; sustainability; and diversity, equity, & inclusion.
- Champion vibrant, unique downtowns as the foundations of the State’s economic growth through strategically engaging and focusing efforts of diverse public and private entities.
- Optimize CMSC to innovate, flex, and lead through the challenges that face our communities.
The Field Services Director provides guidance and technical assistance to the CT Main Street Network, including Main Street/Downtown programs and municipal members, in facilitating a place-based downtown revitalization management process. The ideal candidate will be adept at facilitating trust with a large number of people (municipal officials, downtown professionals, property owners, entrepreneurs, community organizations, etc.) from a diverse array of downtowns and urban commercial districts. The Field Services Director will manage a robust member engagement and support program in order to achieve outstanding customer satisfaction, maximize member retention, and increase profitability. This position requires frequent travel throughout the state.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Outreach & Engagement, Education & Technical Assistance
- Conduct a “high touch” visitation program to members in the CT Main Street Network (logging visits, specific needs, recommendations, actions, etc.).
- Develop the new CT Main Street Fellowship Program that will address the integration of economic development, historic preservation, sustainability, & diversity/equity/inclusion – with a plan to launch these technical advisor services in FY23.
- Utilize knowledge gained from member engagement to inform CMSC educational programming and fee-for service technical assistance, collaborating with Associate Director in content development, speaker identification, and related resource materials. Participate in the development and delivery of educational sessions.
- Assist with provision of technical assistance, on a fee-for-service basis, to select communities.
- Participate in CT Main Street’s robust social media presence by helping showcase Connecticut communities.
- Conduct introductory outreach to prospective members.
Research, Development & Program Enhancement
- Work with CMSC staff to identify and develop courses, educational materials, handbooks and training to successfully implement local community revitalization activities.
- In conjunction with CT Main Street’s new Fellowship Program, assist with development and use of “think tank” resources at university centers and related sources of technical assistance.
- Serve as the CMSC staff resource person in support of our goal of being “the statewide go-to educational expert for all things Main Street”.
- Track, evaluate, and report on progress of local CT Main Street members toward achieving their goals.
- Working with the Director of Marketing & Communications, contribute content of interest to members across all CMSC communications platforms (website, newsletter, blogs, social media, etc.).
- Complete all reports and workplans as required.
This list of tasks is considered the minimum necessary to successfully fulfill the requirements of this position. Other tasks may be assigned within the framework of the required skills of the position.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Be an energetic, outgoing individual with multi-tasking capabilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, interpersonal skills and diplomacy.
- A proactive self-starter who can adapt personal program knowledge and experience to that of the CMSC team.
- Ability to develop a work program and carry out assignments independently, demonstrating excellent time-management skills.
- Excellent report preparation skills, including meeting critical, time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to set-up and deliver remote learning and webinar presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to use resources effectively.
- Ability to maintain accurate and well-organized files and records.
- Ability to deliver repetitive services without direction.
- Respond to requests and questions in a timely manner.
- Basic office skill experience, above average computer literacy, excellent “PowerPoint” type presentation preparation skills.
- Strong and enthusiastic commitment to Main Street revitalization within the State of Connecticut and be prepared to demonstrate that commitment on a regular basis.
- Have experience or familiarity with Main Street programs, Business Improvement Districts, or municipal economic development or its equivalent. The employer reserves the right to determine if other experience is “equivalent.”
- Be a graduate of a four-year college or university with a degree in public administration, non-profit management, historic preservation, urban or rural planning, marketing, or a similar field of study complementary to community revitalization.
- Be driven to proactively support local revitalization efforts, as such support is defined by CMSC.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields is strongly preferred: downtown or neighborhood revitalization, planning, training and development, communications, historic preservation and/or marketing.
- Must be willing to commute to CMSC’s office in Hartford on a regular basis, as well as remote work as determined necessary, when not traveling to communities for site visits.
- Must hold a valid CT driver’s license and access to your own vehicle.
- Flexibility in adapting to local meeting and event schedules is necessary. Must be willing to accept frequent travel and occasional overnight stay requirements.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full-time exempt position, offering a competitive salary and benefits package, partially funded via a State of CT American Rescue Plan allocation. Due to the anticipated volume of responses, we will contact only those candidates who most closely match our requirements.
How to Apply:
Applications are due by 5:00 PM on Friday, October 8, 2021. Qualified applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to:
HR-Field Services Director
No phone calls, please.
Connecticut Main Street Center is an equal opportunity employer.