From Problems to Partners: How to Successfully Engage Merchants, Property Owners & Municipal Departments
Join for this exciting new training opportunity
Do you want better working relationships with your downtown’s business & property owners, or with your town’s municipal departments?
As a Main Street leader, you bring together a multitude of stakeholders to create and implement plans to make your Main Street vibrant for all.
And in a perfect world, those stakeholders will come together seamlessly.
But that’s not reality, is it? Whether it’s challenging personalities, troubling historical context, personal agendas, absenteeism and apathy, or lack of understanding about the vision for Main Street, you can sometimes be held back by the very stakeholders you’re trying to serve!
If this predicament sounds familiar, you’re going to love our new training! CMSC has teamed up with The Empowered Block to bring you a customized workshop tailored specifically for Main Street professionals to improve their working relationships and overcome challenges with business owners, property owners, municipal departments, and other downtown stakeholders.
About the Training
An expert in urban planning, affordable housing, community engagement, and economic development, Raquel Vazquez, CEO and founder of The Empowered Block, will lead an immersive half-day training including dynamic discussion and group exercises. Through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion, the training will cover:
- Stakeholder Inventory: Review each stakeholder in the local economic development ecosystem, their role, and their priorities.
- Stakeholder Perspectives: Understand each stakeholder’s unique perspective, delving into their roles and how their priorities and concerns are shaped.
- Engagement Strategies: Learn different types of engagement strategies to employ when interacting with stakeholders and when to use them.
- Inclusive Engagement: Study how the past impacts present day neighborhood and commercial corridor contexts. Understand the importance of inclusively engaging stakeholders for greater benefits for all.
- Building Collaborative Teams: Best practices for building trust, consensus, and managing difficult conversations.
- Local Contexts in Connecticut: How COVID and other macro-economic factors are affecting stakeholders and its impact for engagement.
- Stakeholder Engagement Best Practices: Bring everything together to review the techniques and strategies for reaching your engagement goals.
This event is approved for 4 CM credits for certified planners.
With thanks to our AICP Certification Maintenance partner FHI Studio.
Registration includes breakfast, free parking, 4-hour training led by Raquel Vazquez, an experienced community development professional, and printed take-away resources.
- CMSC Member: $75
- Early bird (deadline August 1): $50
- Non-Member: $100
- Early bird (deadline August 1): $75
Deadline to register is September 15, 2022.
8am – 9am: Registration & breakfast
9am – 1pm: Training led by Raquel Vazquez of The Empowered Block
Located at CMSC’s Hartford Offices
There is limited capacity for this event – register today.