Step Five: Advertise the Position
First, determine the deadline for submission of resumes. We suggest keeping the posting open for 4 weeks.
Second, promote the posting.
- Send out a press release announcing the new organization and the job opening to your local media.
- Utilize your network of board members, volunteers, and partners by sending them the job description and encouraging them to refer “outstanding candidates” to the Search Committee.
- Post the position on local, regional, and national job boards.
- Circulate job posting to (check all that apply):
- Local organizations and clubs
- Career services offices at local colleges and universities
- Historic preservation organizations
- National Trust of Main Street Center (www.mainstreet.org)
- Non-profit organizations
- Economic and community development organizations
- Planning and architectural organizations
- Local municipality
- Distribute the job posting to town library, community center, and gathering spots
- Other partner organizations
- Posting the job description across multiple channels should be completed within 1 week.
Action Kit Resource
- Decide application deadline
- Post job listing across different channels