(Hartford, CT – May 1, 2013) – Connecticut Main Street Center (CMSC) is pleased to announce the recipients of its 2013 Awards of Excellence. The winners of these prestigious awards actively championed the revitalization and economic development of downtowns across Connecticut through initiatives ranging from rebuilding and redesigning downtown spaces to working with local partners to provide fresh food for downtown residents. The winning entries represent initiatives and organizations from Hartford, Waterbury, Willimantic and Storrs Center.
“Connecticut’s city centers are critical drivers of commerce and competitiveness,” said Governor Dannel P. Malloy. “I applaud the 2013 award winners for their efforts to make Connecticut’s downtowns thrive. The collaboration to create more livable communities is to the benefit of all Connecticut’s residents.”
“We’re so proud of our members and the way they engaged in partnerships with public, private and non-profit partners to have this enormous impact on their downtowns,” said CMSC President & CEO John Simone. “We can’t wait to share their stories at our Awards Gala in June. Everything from a year-round, Connecticut-produced farmers’ market in the middle of a food desert to a local guy who made good as a doctor, then came back to help revitalize his old neighborhood and raise up his neighbors in the process – people are going to be really inspired.”
The Connecticut Main Street Awards of Excellence were created in 2003 to recognize outstanding projects, individuals and partnerships in community efforts to bring traditional downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts back to life, socially and economically. The Connecticut Main Street Awards annually celebrate and communicate the most successful and innovative efforts in Main Street revitalization in Connecticut. Submissions were judged on criteria which included innovation, replication, representation, partnerships utilized, and outcomes.
Awards will be presented at the 2013 Connecticut Main Street Awards Gala on June 10th at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Downtown Hartford. Major Sponsors include Fuss & O’Neill, Webster Bank, Baywater Properties, Travelers, and Renaissance Downtowns.
2013 Connecticut Main Street Awards of Excellence
Main Street Partnership, sponsored by Webster Bank
- Award of Excellence for “Brass City Market on Field” Indoor Farm Market, to Brass City Harvest, Main Street Waterbury, Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury Development Corporation and the City of Waterbury.
Economic and Business Development
- Award of Excellence for “Make New Friends, but Keep the Old”: Retention and Relocation of Existing Businesses during Development of Storrs Center, to Mansfield Downtown Partnership, UConn, Town of Mansfield, LeylandAlliance, Milone & McBroom, Cipparone & Zaccaro, and the Business Owners of Mansfield & Storrs Center.
Public Space Master Plan
- Award of Excellence for The iQuilt Plan (Downtown Hartford), to iQuilt Partnership, City of Hartford, and Suisman Urban Design.
- Award of Excellence for “End of an Era”: Past Identity/Future Vision and the Portrait Project (Downtown Willimantic), to Harrison Judd, Thread City Development, Inc., Eastern CT State University, Windham Textile & History Museum, Town of Windham, TBS Properties, Windham Region Chamber of Commerce, ArtSpace Windham Gallery.
- Award of Excellence for Fireball Run 2012 (Downtown Waterbury), to Waterbury Regional Chamber of Commerce, City of Waterbury, and Main Street Waterbury.
- Dr. Richard A. Fichman, Fichman Eye Center, in the Upper Albany Main Street District, Hartford.
2013 Nationally Accredited Main Street Programs
- Simsbury Main Street Partnership
- Upper Albany Main Street (Hartford)
- Main Street Waterbury
The Connecticut Light and Power Company Award for Outstanding Contributions to Main Street Revitalization
- Recipient: Toni A. Gold