V.4.1 Disaster Planning
Develop a Disaster Plan, specific for Main Street district businesses, in collaboration with public safety, public health, economic development and other municipal departments.
Our Main Streets and town centers are often our economic engines, our gathering places, our access to goods and services…the lifeblood of the community. Having a plan in place for unexpected disasters can prevent or mitigate impacts to our community, including Main Street businesses. This plan will provide resiliency and allow businesses and the community to bounce back more quickly.
- Obtain samples of disaster, hazard or resiliency plans from other communities to use as a reference.
- Explore opportunities for technical assistance and partnership with your region’s Council of Governments’ Hazard Mitigation Plan, SustainableCT and Resilient Connecticut – CIRCA.
- Hold a workshop with Main Street stakeholders, emergency services, public safety, public health, economic development, and other municipal departments to discuss and draft the Disaster Plan.
- Include topics such as mitigation, natural disaster, technology loss, pandemic, relocation options, resources and communication plan.
- Include what financial resources would be available to help the business(es) with continuity.
- Downtown Mystic Resiliency & Sustainability Plan
- Resilient Connecticut – CIRCA
- State of CT Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Sustainable CT
- Moving from Crisis to Recovery [54 minute webinar]
- First-Next-Later: Safeguarding Small Business During the Pandemic [59 minute webinar]
- State of CT DEEP Climate Resilience Funding