Provide and maintain quality crosswalks to make the pedestrian experience more welcoming and safe.
Crosswalks provide safe passage across streets and discourage unsafe crossings. They alert drivers to pedestrians. A well designed, ADA compliant system of crossings increases access to resources, provides a feeling of safety, encourages more foot traffic to support your downtown businesses and increases social opportunity.
- Conduct a crosswalk audit and hold community outreach events to understand existing conditions downtown. This process can be used to come up with opportunities for improvement.
- Plan for, fund, construct and maintain an adequate number of crosswalks that:
- are clearly visible
- have proper signalization
- follow ADA best practices
- calm traffic and increase safety