(Hartford, CT – June 7, 2013) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy has proclaimed Monday, June 10th as “Connecticut Main Street Day”. The day culminates in the CT Main Street Awards Gala presented by the Connecticut Main Street Center (CMSC). This annual event recognizes the outstanding achievements of organizations and individuals who contribute to the revitalization of Main Street districts throughout the State. This year the Gala will take place at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in downtown Hartford.
“Connecticut’s city centers are critical drivers of commerce and competitiveness,” said Governor Malloy when the winners were announced May 1. “I applaud the 2013 award winners for their efforts to make Connecticut’s downtowns thrive. The collaboration to create more livable communities is to the benefit of all Connecticut’s residents.”
The winners of the prestigious CT Main Street Awards actively championed the revitalization and economic development of downtowns across Connecticut through initiatives ranging from rebuilding and redesigning downtown spaces to working with local partners to provide fresh food for downtown residents. The winning entries represent initiatives and organizations from Hartford, Waterbury, Willimantic and Storrs Center.
The Connecticut Main Street Awards of Excellence were created in 2003 to recognize outstanding projects, individuals and partnerships in community efforts to bring traditional downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts back to life, socially and economically. The Connecticut Main Street Awards annually celebrate and communicate the most successful and innovative efforts in Main Street revitalization in Connecticut. Submissions were judged on criteria which included innovation, replication, representation, partnerships utilized, and outcomes.
CMSC will also recognize three organizations that have been accredited as 2013 National Main Street Programs for meeting organizational performance standards set by the National Trust Main Street Center. Simsbury Main Street Partnership, Upper Albany Main Street (Hartford), and Main Street Waterbury have been recognized for outstanding accomplishments toward the goal of revitalizing their historic main street districts following the Main Street methodology.
The evening will also feature Hartford resident Toni A. Gold, who will receive the 2013 Connecticut Light and Power Company Award for Outstanding Contributions to Main Street Revitalization. The CL&P Award was established by CMSC in 2001 to recognize individuals and organizations who dedicate themselves to promoting an awareness of the necessity of a comprehensive management approach to the revitalization Connecticut’s historic downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts.
The awards will be presented at the 2013 CT Main Street Awards Gala on June 10th at 5:00 pm at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Downtown Hartford. Major Sponsors include Baywater Properties, Fuss & O’Neill, Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc., Inc., Webster Bank, Renaissance Downtowns, and Travelers.
2013 Connecticut Main Street Awards of Excellence
Main Street Partnership, sponsored by Webster Bank
- Award of Excellence for “Brass City Market on Field” Indoor Farm Market, to Brass City Harvest, Main Street Waterbury, Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury Development Corporation and the City of Waterbury.
Economic and Business Development
- Award of Excellence for “Make New Friends, but Keep the Old”: Retention and Relocation of Existing Businesses during Development of Storrs Center, to Mansfield Downtown Partnership, UConn, Town of Mansfield, LeylandAlliance, Milone & McBroom, Cipparone & Zaccaro, and the Business Owners of Mansfield & Storrs Center.
Public Space Master Plan
- Award of Excellence for The iQuilt Plan (Downtown Hartford), to iQuilt Partnership, City of Hartford, and Suisman Urban Design.
- Award of Excellence for “End of an Era”: Past Identity/Future Vision and the Portrait Project (Downtown Willimantic), to Harrison Judd, Thread City Development, Inc., Eastern CT State University, Windham Textile & History Museum, Town of Windham, TBS Properties, Windham Region Chamber of Commerce, ArtSpace Windham Gallery.
- Award of Excellence for Fireball Run 2012 (Downtown Waterbury), to Waterbury Regional Chamber of Commerce, City of Waterbury, and Main Street Waterbury.
- Dr. Richard A. Fichman, Fichman Eye Center, in the Upper Albany Main Street District, Hartford.
2013 Nationally Accredited Main Street Programs
- Simsbury Main Street Partnership
- Upper Albany Main Street (Hartford)
- Main Street Waterbury
The Connecticut Light and Power Company Award for Outstanding Contributions to Main Street Revitalization
- Recipient: Toni A. Gold