The awards will be presented at the 2015 Connecticut Main Street Awards Gala on June 8th at Trinity-on-Main in downtown New Britain. This year’s event will feature guided tours of downtown New Britain, including a Downtown Arts, Heritage & Culture tour, a tour of Walnut Hill Rose Garden & New Britain Museum of American Art, and a tour of CTfastrak in New Britain: Transportation, Housing & Main Street.The full list of 2015 Awards of Excellence winners is as follows:
2015 Connecticut Main Street Awards of Excellence
Main Street Partnership
▪ Award of Excellence for Simsbury High School AP Economics Course, to Simsbury Main Street Partnership and Simsbury High School.
▪ Award of Excellence for Step by Step: Building a Downtown from Scratch (Storrs Center), to Mansfield Downtown Partnership, the Town of Mansfield, UConn, LeylandAlliance and the Citizens of Mansfield.
Events & Programming – Sponsored by Webster Bank
▪ Award of Excellence for The Gathering (Downtown Waterbury), to the City of Waterbury, the Waterbury Observer, and Main Street Waterbury.
Award of Merit for Events & Programming
▪ Award of Excellence for First Fridays (Downtown Putnam), to the Town of Putnam, Putnam Business Association, and the Putnam Arts Council.
Business Owner of the Year
▪ Award of Excellence to Dawn & Kristin Harkness / Wheeling City Tours (New London), Submitted by New London Main Street.
2015 Main Street Pioneer: Outstanding Commitment to The Avenue – Sponsored by Webster Bank
▪ Award of Excellence to Vivian Akuoko / Evay Cosmetics (Upper Albany Avenue, Hartford), Submitted by Upper Albany Main Street.
Starting a Revolution: Integration of Land Use and Transit
▪ Award of Excellence for CTfastrak, to the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation and the Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG).
2015 Nationally Accredited Main Street Programs
▪ New London Main Street
▪ Simsbury Main Street Partnership
▪ Upper Albany Main Street (Hartford)
▪ Main Street Waterbury
CMSC would also like to thank our generous Awards Gala sponsors:
Taste of New Britain Reception Sponsor
Downtown New Britain Tour Sponsors
Baywater Properties CWPM Downes Construction Company Fuss & O’Neill McPhee Electric LTD
Colliers International Farmington Bank Liberty Bank Richter & Cegan
Main Street Sponsors
CDM Smith CEDAS Corporation for Independent Living Express Strategies
Pirie Associates Architects, LLC Svigals + Partners
About Connecticut Main Street Center
The mission of CT Main Street Center is to be the champion and leading resource for vibrant and sustainable Main Streets as foundations for healthy communities. CMSC is dedicated to community and economic development within the context of historic preservation, and is committed to bringing Connecticut’s commercial districts back to life socially and economically.
The Main Street initiative is one of the most successful economic development programs in the country. For every $1 spent on a local Main Street program, over $71 is reinvested in Connecticut Main Street downtowns. CMSC is supported by its Founding Sponsors, the Department of Economic & Community Development (DECD) and Eversource. CMSC is also supported by its Growth Sponsors, UIL Holdings and the State Historic Preservation Office. More information is available at www.ctmainstreet.org.